Profile of Dan Neville, TD
- Elected to Dáil Éireann in 1997, 2002, 2007 and 2011.
- Member of Seanad Éireann (Irish Senate) from 1989 to 1997.
- Member of Limerick County Council from 1985 to 2003.
- Co-founder, President and Director of the Irish Association of Suicidology.
- Member of the International Association of Suicide Prevention.
- Member of the Advisory Board of the College of Psychiatry in Ireland.
- Director of Irish Palatine Association.
- Member of the Mid-Western Health Board and the Association of Health Boards in Ireland from 1992 to 1999.
- Married Goretti O’Callaghan, RGN RIP (2009), formerly of Bishopswood, Dundrum Co. Tipperary. Resting in St. Nicholas Old Cemetery, Adare.
- Dan and Goretti have four children: Tom, Maria, Maeve and Danny and one son-in-law, Simon Foster (New Zealand).
- Son of Tom and Esther (née Giltenane) Neville.
Dan Neville was elected to Dáil Éireann in 1997 and re-elected in May 2002 and in June 2007. Deputy Neville was appointed Fine Gael Spokesperson on Mental Health in 2007 and is a member of the Joint Oireachtas Committee on Health and Children, a member of the Houses of the Oireachtas Commission, a member of the Joint Committee on the Constitutional Amendment on Children, a member of the Joint Oireachtas Administration Committee and a member of the Dáil Committee on Procedure and Privileges.
First elected to Dáil Éireann in 1997, Dan was Fine Gael spokesperson on Children and until 2000, when he became deputy spokesperson on Health, Children and Mental Health Issues, a post he held until February 2001. Dan was then appointed to the Fine Gael Health Cabinet. He was also a member of the Joint Oireachtas Committee on Health and Children.
He was first elected to the Senate (Seanad Éireann) on the Labour Panel in 1989 and was Fine Gael Deputy Leader in the Senate and spokesman on Justice and Law Reform between 1992 and 1997. He was a candidate in the general elections of 1987 and 1992. He was a member of Limerick County Council from 1985 to 2003 and a member of the Mid-Western Health Board from 1992 to 1999. He was also member of the General Council of County Councils and the Association of Health Boards in Ireland from 1992 to 1999.
From 2002 to 2007 he was Deputy Chief Whip of Fine Gael and was a member of the Joint Oireachtas Committee on Health and Children and a member of the Dáil Committee on Procedure and Privileges
Deputy Neville is President of the Irish Association of Suicidology, a member of the International Association for Suicide Prevention and is a director of the Irish Palatine Association. He was on the National Economic and Social Form and Project Team on Mental Health and Social Inclusion from 2002 to 2007. In May 2008, he was elected as Chairman of the Joint Oireachtas Sub-committee on Suicide Prevention and in the same month was appointed by Enda Kenny as a member of the National Economic and Social Form and is on the management committee of this body He is a member of the Advisory Board of The College of Psychiatry of Ireland.
Dan married Goretti O’Callaghan, RGN, formerly of Dundrum, Co. Tipperary. Goretti passed to her eternal reward on 27th January 2009. Dan and Goretti have four children: Tom, Maria, Maeve and Danny.